Valencia has it all to potentially transform into one of the greatest bicycle cities in the Mediterranean as it as flat as a pancake (no hyperventilating up steep hills) and there is all year round good weather.
Change is already in the air especially as the new local government is an advocate for sustainable mobility and has already completed new cycle lanes in the city centre but there are many more hurdles to overcome before we can be considered the greatest bicycle city. For this reason, Valencia is going to be celebrating its 1st Bicycle Festival in order to promote the city and inform its citizens and tourists on the benefits of possibly becoming the cycle capital of the Mediterranean.
There will be many events all round the city organized by the Councillorship for Sustainable Mobility but local businesses will also offer workshops and bike rides. Don’t miss out on the main event on the 13th where there will be a Bike Fair set up in the old river bed. See the official programme below to find out what’s going down.
MONDAY 8TH MAY
Bicifest Valencia 2017 inauguration
- 6.00pm Valencia: Mediterranean Bike Capital at Ayuntamiento de Valencia (Valencia City Hall)
7.pm Bicycle Mechanics Workshop (Intermediate Level) at Biciutat (Calle Serpis, 32). Email to book attendance at email@example.com as there are limited spaces.
TUESDAY 9TH MAY
Bici Barrio Botànic (Botanic Neighbourhood)
- 5.30pm Children’s Cycling Highway Code courses and workshops led by Aula de la Bici at Plaza Rojas Clemente.
- 6.30pm Instructed Bicycle Ride through the streets of El Botanic neighbourhood.
6.30pm Talk: The problems of Long-Stay Parking at Night & the Bicicletas Durmientes (Sleeping Bicycles) Social Innovation Project. Location: Biciutat (Calle Serpis, 32).
WEDNESDAY 10TH MAY
Bici Barrio Benimaclet (Benimaclet Neighbourhood)
- 5.30pm Children’s Cycling Highway Code courses and workshops led by Aula de la Bici at Plaza de Benimaclet.
- 6.30pm Instructed Bicycle Ride through the streets of Benimaclet
7.00pm Talks about cycling books and publications on the terrace of MuVIM (Museum of Illustration and Modernity).
- Giuseppe Grezzi: Councillor for Sustainable Mobility
- Pedro Bravo: Author of the book “Biciosos”, journalist and cultural agitator
- Pepa Pròsper: Valencian en Bici, Biologist and Environmental Teacher
- Paco Tortosa: Geographer, traveller and author of the book “España en Bici” (Spain by Bike)
7.00pm Bicycle Mechanics Workshop (Intermediate Level) at Biciutat (Calle Serpis, 32). Email to book attendance at firstname.lastname@example.org as there are limited spaces.
THURSDAY 11TH MAY
- 10.00am Bicycle security checks, Basic Road Safety Information Point on Calle Xativa near Estacion del Norte (Main Train Station).
Bicinema at l’IVAM (Valencia Modern Art Institute)
- 7.00pm Documentary premiere: Rodando por el clima (Cycling for the Climate). 85 minutes. Presentation, screening and talk with the principal actors and writers of the documentary. Free admission until all spaces have been taken.
FRIDAY 12TH MAY
- 12.45am Visit to a cycle logistics business called Encicle. Sign up required to take part. Click here for more info.
Bici Barrio Ruzafa (Ruzafa Neighbourhood)
- 5.30pm Children’s Cycling Highway Code courses and workshops led by Aula de la Bici at Plaza Barón de Cortés (Mercado de Ruzafa).
- 6.30pm Instructed Bicycle Ride through the streets of Ruzafa.
SATURDAY 13TH MAY
Bicimostra (Bike Fair)
- 10.00am – 8.00pm. Bike Fair at Section 9 of the Jardins del Turia (between Puente de las Flores and Puente de la Exposición).
Aula de la Bici (Bike Classes)
- 10.30am Cycling through the city without fear (Adults): theory induction, closed circuit to test skills, road safety cycling itinerary.
- 11.30am Cycling through the city without fear (Adults): theory induction, closed circuit to test skills, road safety cycling itinerary.
- 5.00pm Bicifamily (minors with accompanying adult): theory induction, closed circuit to test skills, road safety cycling itinerary.
- 6.00pm Bicifamily (minors with accompanying adult): theory induction, closed circuit to test skills, road safety cycling itinerary.
Sign up here
- Basic bicycle mechanic workshops. 3 workshops at 4.30pm, 5.30pm & 6.30pm. Confirm assistance at the Biciutat stand at the Bike Fair.
- Course: Don’t let your bike get stolen: Learn how to park your bike. Look out for the Biciescuela stand at the Bike Fair.
Cultural Visit along the Cycling Ring Road
- 10.45am Sign up at the Information Point at the Bike Fair as there are limited spaces available. The visit will be led by Alessandro Girardi, official guide of the Community of Valencia and will take 90 minutes.
- Events at Media Markt on Calle Colón, 6: Ecologic Show Road & Skate and Hoverboard Exhibition.
Ciclogreen: Mou-te per València (Get around Valencia)
- Prizes will be awarded to those who took part in the Get Around Valencia Challenge by Ciclogreen.
- BIBÓO (electric bike) Grand Prize.
- More info at www.moutepervalencia.com & www.ciclogreen.com
Children’s Activities organized by the EMT (Municipal Transport Company of Valencia)
- 10.00am – 2.30pm / 4.30pm – 7.00pm: Come to the SuperBusina and SuperBus to meet the sustainable heroes and the inflatable bus of the EMT. There will be music, dancing, storytelling, theatre and prize draws for the whole family. More info at www.emtlescola.es
Bicípolis & Kaiowa
- How to recycle bicycle covers and inner tubes into pouches, saddlebags and other bicycle accessories.
SUNDAY 14TH MAY
- 10.00am Bike ride from La Alameda to the Marina (round-trip).
SATURDAY 20TH MAY & SUNDAY 21ST MAY
2nd Edition of the Iberian Cultural Heritage Bike Ride (Ciclopaseo por el patrimonio: Ruta Íbera)
- Organized by XEP (Cultural Heritage of the Valencian Huerta Organization Network). Find out more at the Information Point at the Bike Fair that will be opened from 13th May.
Bike Ride to El Saler
- Organized by Club Tres Rodes Aspaym CV. 15 KM bike ride on the cycle lane linking Valencia and El Saler. Meeting point will be at the roundabout between Puente del Azud de Oro and The Agora. More info here
Get your bike out or alternatively make use of the Valencia city bikes called Valenbisi and get cycling. Below you can view a map of the cycle lanes in Valencia.